Friday, March 2, 2012

3 Projects and a Pet

Dear Family and Friends,
Well!  So much for writing more frequently!  I have a long way to go before I am a timely "blogger", but I will keep working on it!  I think I have come to terms with not getting all of my projects done like I thought I should.  I am making some progress, but have come to realize that a project a month isn't feasible for me, but maybe one every other month can be realistic.  I start too much and finish very little!  So rather than tell you what I have finished, here are a few things that I have started.
Noro Log Cabin Blanket: 
I saw a project that has me totally obsessed.  Using 20 different skeins of Noro Kureyon 100% wool, each skein is knit into a log cabin style block with garter stitch.  The long strand color variation makes a beautiful block.  I have 17 done and have 3 more to go.  Then I will knit the blocks together with dark brown wool for the sashing and borders.  I have to make it long enough for Jeff to use as well as me.  It should work out to be just long enough or I will add to the top and bottom borders to get the necessary length.  Above is a photo of the stack of blocks that are done so far and below are photos of 2 completed blocks.  They get a little addictive  . . .  I can't wait to see what the color will be and how each block will look.  Here is the link to the pattern.  This could be a great baby blanket (in a very washable yarn) or college graduation gift.
Sampler of Techniques: I have been working on my class samples for upcoming quilting retreats here at the inn.  They aren't finished yet, big surprise, but they are coming along!  For my April class I am working on a sampler from the book "Sew a Row Quilts", by Karin Hellaby.  One of my favorite techniques is the off-set flying geese and I can't wait to teach the ladies coming in April. I pulled some fabrics from my stash to do my sample.  Nice and easy, navy and white . . . a classic color combination!  This will be the 11th anniversary of my first quilter's retreat of April 2002.  I am looking forward to continuing this tradition! 

"Twinkle":  I also started the class sample for "Twinkle" that is now scheduled for the weekend of November 9-11.  I fell in love with Amy Butler's "Soul Blossom" fabric last year and had it set aside for this project.  The pattern is a modern variation of the Friendship Star block.  With the star in the center, the various "Soul Blossom" large-print fabrics surround it.  I am going to keep this one simple and not add a border.  It will probably end up on Alexis' bed after the class.  She wants almost everything I make!

Our "kitten":  Phin, our Ragdoll "kitten", is now 20 months old . . . we have all sorts of nick-names for him including 'Mr. Fluffy Pants' and 'The Fabulous Mr. Phin'.  He is a cutie, but a real stinker!  He seems to think he has to come visit us when we are working in the dining room or when he wants to go watch the birds.  Jeff has to go to the hardware store tomorrow and get a heavier closer for the door leading from the guest living room to the dining room . . . no cats allowed!
 
 I am going to sign off for the night.  I have to go "encourage" Alexis to go to bed!  We may go out and play in the snow tomorrow, so we'll need our rest.  We had over 12" of fresh snow between Wednesday night and Thursday night.  We need to enjoy it while it lasts!

I hope you are doing well with your own projects.  I hope, too, that all of your stitches are happy ones!  Send updates when you can; I love to see what you are working on!

All the best,
Kim
=^..^=


No comments:

Post a Comment